VR Systems

Moderator: postme

postme

VR Systems

Post by postme » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 am

Hello all,

I'm willing to upgrade to the VR World.
But I'm overwhelmed about all different systems.
Eurocon is perhaps is a good place to see all different systems working.
All started a few years ago with Oculus Rift.
I will be using manly for flightsims ,DCS

Who is using what VR systems, and what is your experience pro /cons

Rgds Postme

issigonis

Re: VR Systems

Post by issigonis » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 am

You've seen and experienced the first generation Rift first hand now.

I have upgraded to the Rift S and it's a significant step forward, mostly in the readability of cockpit instruments.
With the old Rift i had to use VR zoom in DCS quite extensively(especially in the F14), with the Rift S my usage of VR Zoom is reduced significantly. Instruments are perfectly readable without zooming.

Tomkin

Post by Tomkin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:59 pm

As i wrote last Year, i get my Samsung Odyssey+ from a store in NY USA , as you cant't buy it in Europe.
From time to time they sell it for 249 US$, with Shipping and taxes it was €380 so it was a good deal!
I think it will be soon discontinued, but here you can still get it:
https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/product/2 ... hild_sku=1
It has a way better picture than an Rift CV1, you cant barely see any Screendoor Efffect. On the other hand its heavier than an Rift or Rift S, but for me its ok. Just give it a try at the con.
I Play Elite Dangerous and Aces High in VR, Condor 2 Soaring Simulator also works fine with it!
Since the last NVidia Drivers Update a have a significant increase of sharpness with my Odyssey+! Its much better than you can see it in the "through the lens" Videos that you can find on Youtube!

Important! If you have an Interpupilar Distance (IPD) that is not so common, you could have trouble to get an sharp Image with systems that have no mechanical solution to adjust the IPD. I personally have this problems, thats one reason why i choose the Odyssey+!
Last edited by Tomkin on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hiromachi

Post by Hiromachi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:19 am

Right now there is no jack of all trades VR headset. Most popular is Rift S which is average. It's just good for average user. Alternatives right now are Valve Index (if available), Pimax 5k, HP Reverb or HTC. Each has pros and cons, like some (Valve Index and Pimax 5k) have lower resolution but wider FoV (which in any sim is important), others on the contrary. I have ordered HP Reverb which of all units has highest resolution, but standard (i.e. not better than average) FoV. To utilize it you need a powerful GPU and CPU.

Of course the holy grail of Vr is supposedly coming and that is Pimax 8kx: https://store.pimaxvr.com/shop/product/ ... n-8k-x-384#
If I like my Reverb and like VR, I'm going to get it. Price is considerable but its high resolution combined with wide FoV should give everything that is needed. One downside is the fact that its not available yet. Production was supposed to start in March, but my last contact with Pimax CEO made it clear that their factories are closed and they were unable due to current virus crisis to begin any work. So likely earliest units will arrive in the summer.

All in all Rift S is solid unit to start with. Alternatively, depending on your system and needs, HP Reverb should be the one to recommend. I should be having Reverb with me on Con so you can try it Postme.

Tomkin

Post by Tomkin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:13 pm

A Few Days Ago i got a barely used Pimax 5k+ in very Good condition. Shot a Vive Base Station an did a first Testflight in Elite Dangerous. Tomorrow the Deluxe Audio Strap should be delivered. :D

What to say: The Picture is Brilliant, Colors are not so bright as in the Oddysey+ and yes there is a screendoor effect visible, but that doesn't bother me. The Field of View is a Blast. I do some Gaming the next days an then decide what to do.

Sell the Odyssey+ an get some Index or Vive Knuckles and a Second Base Station, or Hold the Odyssey+......

For the Moment i cant imagine to get Back to a VR System that gives me a Scuba Mask Feeling. :geek:

Tomkin

Post by Tomkin » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:39 pm

After some Tests with Aces High, Elite Dangerous and Condor2 i decided to Hold the Pimax and sell the Odyssey+.

If someone is interested, E-Bay Number is ############

SOLD !

save

Post by save » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:48 am

look at Youtube : best of these VR for sims (if you have the graphics card to support it) is the HP Reverb G2
check this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf37s2HWu3k

The Reverb G2 will also be the first to be supported by MS flight simulator 2020

postme

Post by postme » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 pm

Thx,

Lets wait till Reverb is available,
Issigonis pre ordered Reverb and hopefully get it next week
At this moment I have Rifts and I'm curious if Reverb is big (money worth)improvement .

Rgds Postme